Friday, November 7, 2014

Chemo, round 2

I am not going to give you all the gory details of chemo.  What happens to  me, won't necessarily happen to some one else.  Very few do chemo without some side effects, and each time something different can/will happen.

The process is not that bad.  First I am given a huge amount of anti nausea medicine.  Then  I am hooked up to different IVs and sit in a nice recliner and doze, check email, read, whatever I want, gradually I just get tired.  Then they hooked me to the take home chemo grenade and we go home. 

That night, Tuesday, I was so nauseated, and I threw up several times.  That stunned Marty and me, I rarely throw up.  So it was an ugly night.  The next day my stomach was calmer, but still upset.  I took medicines and they sort of helped.  I slept  most of the day.

Thursday we went back to Kaiser to have the take home chemo removed.  They were concerned with the vomiting and nausea, so they gave me an IV bag to hydrate me and then a powerful anti nausea IV.  That helped, but was not a cure all.

Today I have slept most of the day.  I am not as nauseated, and no Code Brown yet.  That is the next big worry.   I hope tomorrow will be closer to normal and I will feel like eating.  Not much but soup being eaten so far.  I need more calories than that.

It has been a rough few days, but maybe not as awful as last time.  We will see how things progress.  This is more than a 3 or 4 day problem.

Your prayers are greatly appreciated.  Please add prayers for all suffering from cancer.  There are a lot of us out there.  I just heard a friend's cancer is back and has spread.  Prayers for unknown patients will help. 

1 comment:

ButchCountry said...

My wife had 8 rounds of chemo, she had to stay in the hospital for 3 days each round, she too got quite sick during the process and didn't feel well for a few days after, she is on a 2 month break from treatment and goes back November 25th for a scan and consult. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and with your friend, be well and be strong , Peace be with you.