Friday, March 27, 2015

And another update on me

Tuesday was chemo day.  Good friend Kirsten took me for a couple of reasons.  It gave Marty time off as my caregiver, and Kirsten and I had two to three hours of just us talking.  Two hours is never enough for us, we are like a couple of teenagers yakking away.

The chemo process as usual is no big deal.  Doesn't hurt and the side effects don't usually kick in until I get home.  These two drugs are not making me sick as the pre Christmas chemo did.  I have very light nausea and tiredness.  Pills are controlling the nausea and naps work on being tired.

Now the chemo brain is a whole different story.  I can't remember squat.  And I do dumb things.  The other night I was going to turn off the kitchen light with its remote,  But it didn't work.  Why, you ask?  It didn't work because I was punching on the TV remote.

I am able to do some domestic stuff: cook, wash dishes, sort laundry, and yesterday I rearranged some furniture.  I have days I think the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is wrong.  I feel good,  nothing hurts, no trips to the ER.  How can I be a cancer patient?  Well I know I am and I know I am lucky to feel as good as I do.  Thank you prayer warriors.

Monday I had blood work done and a test was added.  It is the baseline test that identifies the type of cancer.  This is the third time they have done it.  I don't know much about it, but do know the test came back with lower numbers.  That is great news.  But what it really means, I don't know.

This afternoon I have a CT Scan to see what the mass is doing, growing, shrinking, spreading.  I am just a little nervous for several reasons.  If you remember the last time we did this, they couldn't get a good vein for the IV and I went through hell as they struggled to find a vein.  A lot of crying and pain that trip.  I told my doctor how scared I was of going through that again.  She had a way to avoid that.

I have a port in my chest for the chemo and lab work done in oncology..  No other departments are allowed to touch it.  My doctor set up that oncology will put in a link for the radiologist tech to use, I will have the scan, and then oncology will pull the link.  Thank you Dr. Kuan! One less panic attack for me.

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts.

No comments: